Zero Footprint Efforts
Ecological Engineering is the practice of finding solutions that result in mutual benefits for human society and the natural environment. As such, we will strive to be as “zero footprint” as possible at this year’s conference. Under guidance of Sustainable UGA, we will endeavor to take the following actions to minimize the energy, carbon, and water footprint of our event:
- No bottled water will be available at any time during the conference. During field trips, we will have large water dispensers and we encourage you to bring your own reusable bottle.
- Printing will be kept to a minimum. Abstracts will not be printed, but rather found online.
- All meals at the conference venue will be served using china, glassware and metal utensils, all reusable and no disposables.
- Area information (e.g. maps, lists of restaurants, etc.) will be available, but not automatically distributed in the welcome packet. To reduce waste, we ask that you pick up the information as needed at the registration desk and share when possible.
- Name badge carriers are all reused from previous events.
- Conference attendees are encouraged to use low footprint transportation as much as possible during the conference (e.g. walking, biking, carpooling, local transit). As the conference venue is located downtown next to the university, local transportation via foot will be generally convenient. Additionally, the UGA transit and Athens transit center is located just a few steps from the conference venue.
- Conference feedback surveys will only be available online.
- Recycling bins will be present throughout the conference venue.
- Exhibitors are encouraged to limit the amount of materials they bring and distribute in order to reduce waste.
- To learn more about everyday sustainability efforts around the UGA campus, please visit Sustainable UGA.